Auckland’s Spray Tan Specialists!
Whether you are looking for a sun-kissed glow or a deep tropical tan we will customise the colour to fit your specific needs. Our spray tans are premium quality and professionally applied. Treat yourself to a healthy, safe, and natural bronzed look with a spray tan.
We have a fabulous selection of natural colours suitable for fair, medium and olive complexions. With natural bronzers, you’ll see an immediate effect that deepens over time until you’re ready to shower and reveal your gorgeous natural-looking spray tan that lasts 7-10 days with proper care. A disposable g-string and hair cover is supplied for your comfort and convenience.
We have a range of 1-8 hour development times available which are hydrating, long-lasting, non-orange, non-sticky and quick to dry. It’s everything you would want in a spray tan!
Pre-paid concessions are to be used within 6 months from purchase date.
Contact us for special discounted pricing of group bookings (4 or more people).
Before and after care for your spray tan:
Preparation for your spray tan application
- If you wax, do so at least 48 hours prior to your tan application. If you shave, please do so the night before your tan application.
- Use a loofah, mitt or body scrub on the night before your appointment to thoroughly exfoliate the skin prior to your tan appointment. We stock tan remover mitts specifically designed to remove your previous spray tan and/or exfoliate the skin. If you prefer a body scrubs ensure no oily residue is left on the skin if this is your final shower before your tan.
- Avoid applying moisturisers, or lotions on the day of your appointment. These will act as an inhibitor to the tan and affect the final result.
- Make sure you do not apply deodorant on the day of your spray tan. Ensure you wash your underarms with a washcloth and soap really well prior to getting a tan as most deodorants are long lasting so need thorough removal.
- If it’s raining we suggest you bring an umbrella, and wear clothing that will cover your skin to prevent any water drops going on to your undeveloped spray tan.
Home care for your spray tan application
- Bring dark and loose clothing to wear after your tan to avoid staining light clothing, rubbing the tan off, and to feel most comfortable. Where possible avoid wearing your bra after your tan. Alternatively a strapless bra or bathing suit is recommended to protect rubbing in the shoulder area, especially if you are wearing a strapless dress to an upcoming event. Also jandals are great to avoid rubbing the tan off your feet.
- No swimming, sweating, exercising or getting wet until you have showered within the recommended development time.
- When you wash off your tan (have your first shower) ensure you have a quick shower (30 seconds to 1 minute) and use your hands to wipe over your skin to make sure all initial bronzers are fully rinsed and the water runs clear – this ensures there is no ‘streaking’ to the tan which would be from the bronzers not being rinsed enough. We recommend a water only shower when doing your first rinse off ie. no shower gels, shampoos, conditioners and no moisturiser for that first shower until tan has fully developed – the next day is fine.
- Pat your skin dry post shower – do not rub!
- Leave the tan on for 1-8 hours to develop before showering. Your therapist will tell you when to wash off your tan, depending on your desired colour and solution chosen. When you have a shorter rinse off time, do remember your tan will take another 24 hours to fully develop to its true shade. In some cases you may feel like you have no tan once you have showered – please remember it takes this 24 hours to develop on the skin.
- If you are sleeping overnight with your undeveloped tan, remember to sleep on dark sheets to avoid staining bedding from the initial bronzers of the spray tan which will be there until your first shower.
- Moisturise daily to preserve the tan for the longest time. We recommend using a gradual tan which we have available in salon to keep the colour for longer.
- Chlorine will shorten the length of your tan so avoid swimming pools and spas following application.
- Exfoliate only when you are ready to remove the tan.
We have a range of solutions available from Black Magic Tan to suit all depths and skin tones.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will my tan stain my clothes after I have had a spray tan?
A: No, Black Magic’s bronzers are made using the highest grade FD&C colours available, this helps prevent colour coming off onto clothing and sheets during the development process, we do recommend that loose fitting clothing is worn whilst your tan is developing.
Q: How long does a Black Magic Tan last?
A: Black Magic Tans are created using the finest quality ingredients and should last from 7 to 10 days depending on skin type and condition. Before your tan ensure you exfoliate to remove dry, dead skin cells and moisturise morning and night after your spray tan has fully developed.
Q: Will my tan wash off?
A: Your Black Magic Tan will deliver amazing colour. When first applied you will see the bronzer which gives you instant, temporary colour while your spray tan is developing underneath. It is the bronzers that you’ll see being removed when you take your rinse/shower. DHA is clear, your tan will continue to develop for up to 24 hours.
Q: Can I swim in pools?
A: Swimming in chlorinated pools may cause your tan to wear quickly, when leaving the pool or ocean after a swim dry yourself down by patting your body not rubbing it dry with the towel, this will help maintain your spray tan.
Q: Are there any harmful ingredients in the product?
A: Dermatologists will enthusiastically agree that Tanning with DHA formulation is much safer than tanning for prolonged hours in the sun. Skin allergies are not common however we do recommend that you conduct a patch test before your first spray tan if you are unsure.
Q: Can I spray tan my face?
A: Yes, Black Magic Tan is designed for the entire body, including the face.
Q: Is it ok to use spray on tan during pregnancy?
A: There are no tests showing that spray tanning during pregnancy is harmful. The ingredient in the tanning solution that gives you your tan is DHA and this is made from sugar cane, and has no known problems. This is your decision if in doubt we recommend you consult with your Doctor.
Q: Can I breastfeed and get a Spray Tan?
A: If Breastfeeding we suggest that you leave your bra on and do not get your breasts tanned.
Q: When is the best time to wax, before or after my spray tan?
A: Waxing is recommended at least 24 hours prior to having your spray tan, this is to ensure the pores of your skin are closed. If the pores of your skin remain open bronzer can become trapped in the pores of your skin creating a spotty effect. Please discuss with your spray tan technician.
Q: Why don’t I have any Colour after my rapid tan?
A: A rapid tan for (1 or 2 hours) means you can rinse off your bronzer early and go about your normal routine. Once your development time has expired take a quick 30 second rinse in the shower. Do not use any soaps, scrubs or product at this time as your tan is still developing underneath. If you do use product it can negatively impact on the end result. Depending on the tanning solution you have chosen colour will start to appear within two hours and be fully developed between 8 – to 24 hours.
Q: Will medication affect my tan?
A: Some medication can affect hormonal changes and the bodies pH levels which can change the outcome of your tan.
Q: I’m currently undergoing IPL/laser hair removal when is it safe to get a spray tan?
A: It is ok to tan 24 hours AFTER but NOT BEFORE as the IPL will ‘burn’ the colour of the tan into your skin and will be very painful. All tan should be removed before your next laser treatment.
Q: I’m wearing a moisturiser will it affect my spray tan?
A: Some moisturisers act as a barrier against your spray tan. We suggest using our pre tan prep spray to remove oil, make up and excess moisturiser before your spray tan as it can negatively impact on the outcome of your tan. Do not come in with moisturiser on, but do wear moisturiser daily afterwards to prolong your tan.
Q: I use a self-tanning product can I get a spray tan over the top?
A: It is best to wait until you have exfoliated off the old colour first for best results.
Q: I haven’t exfoliated will this affect my tan?
A: Exfoliation is an important part of the pre-tan process. By removing the dead skin cells to leave a clean smooth surface you create the best possible conditions for your spray tan. If you do not exfoliate it can result in a shorter life, or patchy tan.