Dermaplaning / Epidermal Levelling is a safe procedure for gentle, yet controlled exfoliation while also temporarily removing fine vellus hair (peach fuzz) from the face. Using a scalpel and a delicate touch, we simply abrade the surface of the skin using light feathering strokes ridding the top dead skin cell layer and hair, giving a brighter, radiant looking complexion. There is no pain or downtime with Dermaplaning and results are immediate.
What are the benefits of Dermaplaning?
- Brighter complexion with a more youthful glow
- Skin will be softer to the touch and smoother in appearance minimising pores, fine lines and wrinkles
- Active ingredients in skin care products penetrate more deeply improving your results
- Temporarily removes fine vellus hair
- No pain – just a light pressure
- No chemicals, unless you choose to have a peel afterwards for deeper exfoliation targeting concerns
- Makeup glides on easily, making it the ideal pre-event treatment – we recommend 3 days prior to an event
- Suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive skins (excluding those with metal allergies)
- There is no downtime – mild pinkness can be expected for 30-60 minutes
- Safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women
Results are immediate and will be seen with each treatment. We recommend Dermaplaning every 4-6 weeks depending on your own hair growth cycle, and treatments can be ongoing.
Will there be more hair growth and will the hair grow back thicker after the treatment?
No, dermaplaning does not affect the actual hair follicle. Every individual hair follicle has its own individual DNA, which we are born with. This will determine whether it is vellus (light, thin) or terminal (thicker, darker). Terminal hairs are predetermined, they tend to appear due to hormone changes such as pregnancy, menopause and hormonal imbalances. Some medications can also increase hair growth. Once the hair is cut it has a blunt edge, but this blunt edge does not mean that the hair structure itself has been physiologically altered. So therefore, Dermaplaning does not affect how your hair would regrow. It will grow back at the same rate and texture as before the treatment.
Are there any harsh side effects?
No, there is no downtime with Dermaplaning. Initially the skin may be slightly pink due to the removal of hair and exfoliation, and increasing circulation of the skin. Some people can get slight faking of the skin after a few days which can be gently exfoliated at day 3-4. Please make sure to keep your skin well nourished and moisturised as recommended by your therapist. Due to the nature of using a blade, there is always the possibility of a small nick which we try our best to avoid, but it can happen from time to time. This is very superficial to the surface, and will disappear within 2-3 days. We also cannot treat those with nickel allergies due to the metal blade and possible reactions.
What does my treatment entail?
If you have not been to us for facial treatments before we will do an initial skin consultation to ensure there are no contraindications to the treatment such as allergies to metal and raised lesions. Your treatment starts with a double cleanse to ensure all surface makeup is removed, we follow this with a solution to help further remove any surface oils and remaining makeup to ensure the skin is clean. We then will proceed with your Dermaplaning treatment using a new sterile bladed handle which gently applies pressure as it ‘swipes’ back and forth across the skin on an angle. We will remove fine vellus hair from the full face and neck (if required) with this action. This gives a clean controlled exfoliation to the skin along with removing the fine vellus hair. Once we have completed this we will follow your treatment with a Peptide Sheet Mask which has calming and hydrating properties. SPF is applied after your treatment and recommended for daily use.
You can be pink after your Dermaplaning for an hour or so, and we recommend not to wear makeup on the day of your treatment to ensure skin is kept clean from bacteria. Possible ‘nicks’ can happen, however we do try our utmost best to avoid this, but due to the nature of the blade it is a possibility which is why we recommend having this treatment a minimum of 3 days prior to an event. If you have not had Dermaplaning before and wish to have it for your wedding, we highly recommend having a trial beforehand.
- Light shedding or flaking may occur within the first few days. You can gently exfoliate this at day 3-4.
- DO NOT PICK OR TOUCH SKIN.
- No chemicals including swimming for 48 hours after treatments.
- No harsh skin care including Retinol or exfoliants for 72 hours – please check with your therapist if you are unsure.
- No exercise or excessive sweating for 24 hours this includes sauna and steam rooms.
- DO NOT apply makeup for 24 hours after treatment (mineral makeup is fine to use)
- SPF30+ MUST BE WORN daily. We recommended physical SPF to avoid irritation.
At Loft Beauty Boutique we only use high quality, one time use sterile devices. We pride ourselves on both our knowledge and experience but also on our thorough consultations that ensure we have all the necessary information to minimise the risk of complications. At Loft Beauty Boutique you can be sure that your safety is our first priority.
Follow your Dermaplaning treatment with an LED or facial peel for ultimate results.